Friday, August 26, 2011

Book Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins


Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 275
Acquired: 4/2/11
Book of Your Shelf? No
Why I read it: Series
Series: The Hunger Games (2)

I'm sure there have been countless other reviews of the second book in this popular series, so I'm going to be brief. I imagine there are quite a few other people out there that share my opinion.

The Capitol is very angry with Katniss and Peeta for forcing his hand in last year's hunger games. The districts are in rebellion and they are using the two as mascots and motivation. The second book in the series takes us back into the hunger games with a whole new arena. I found this arena to be much more inventive and played a major part in the story. The contestants are once again set up to battle until only one survivor is remaining, but once again things don't go as the gamemasters planned.

I did not enjoy Katniss and Peeta nearly as much as I did in the previous book. They did not seem to grow. The other contestants also seemed to be a bit shallow, even though the book was set up in a way that left the door wide open for some new favorites to emerge. I'll be reading the third because the story ended with quite a cliffhanger and I am still quite attached to many of the characters in the book.

3/5

1 comment:

Jen | Book Den said...

I loved Catching Fire. I was actually surprised by what happened in the book. I didn't see it coming.