Saturday, January 9, 2010

Book Review: Merry, Merry Ghost by Carolyn Hart


Merry, Merry Ghost by Carolyn Hart

Bailey Ruth has been sent back from Heaven once again. This time her mission is to watch over a little boy named Kieth, the long lost grandson of a quite wealthy, and very ill, woman named Susan. When Susan turns up dead, a result of foul play, after announcing that she was leaving everything to her recently found grandson, there are many suspects, as many were remembered in her original will. It is up to Bailey Ruth to try and discover the identity of the murderer and keep little Keith safe, all while not breaking the Precepts that she was ordered to follow when she was sent from Heaven


This was supposed to be a Christmas read for me, since the events in the story all happen around Christmas time, but I didn't quite get to it in time. The story was a little hard for me to get into at first. The reader is introduced to a slew of potential hiers to Susan's fortune right off the bat, and it took me awhile to get them all sorted out. Once I had and the action picked back up, I was very happy with the pace of the book. The author kept the identity of the killer a secret until the very end, at least she kept it secret from me.

Bailey Ruth bothered me a bit. I understand that her character is a bit like an angel, having been sent down from heaven and all, but she was a bit of a goodie-goodie at times. Her only saving grace was that she did occassionally break the rules she was supposed to follow while on earth. This is the second book written about Bailey Ruth and I have added the first to my wish list to see if I warm up to her a little bit more.

3/5

No comments: