Thursday, January 14, 2010

Book Review: Dark Alley by Evan Marshall



A sanitation worker named Garry is found murdered in an alleyway.  His supervisor Anna decides that the police aren't doing enough and begins to investigate on her own.  A few days later another body is found...then another...and another.  The killer is nicknamed the "Mews Murderer" and the police seem to be chasing their own tails as Anna tries everything she can to discover who the killer is before they can strike again.

To start with, I have to say that I loved the character of Anna.  She was intelligent and thought through the facts coming up with some interesting points of view...some of which lead her the right direction and which lead her away.  Her cop boyfriend, however, seemed to be in the story only as a way for her to get into the crime scenes.  It would have been nice to see more from him, he seemed to have a lot of potential that was never used.

The mystery itself was well laid out and presented.  I managed to guess the murderer early on, but I think it was just a lucky guess.  We follow Anna as she interviews persons of interest and looks for clues.  There were a few spots where the dialog was a little choppy or drawn out as she was asking people the same questions one after another.

Even though I had somehow managed to guess the culprit, the reasons behind his actions do not become clear until the very end.  The story wrapped up very suddenly, and I would have liked to see it take more than just a couple pages.  I was a bit rushed for my taste.

Overall, the book was very enjoyable and I had a hard time putting it down.  If you are a mystery fan you will enjoy the story.

3/5

1 comment:

StephTheBookworm said...

Wow, looks great! This is definitely a new must read for me now!