Friday, February 12, 2010

Weekly Finds: 2/12/10

I've been doing fairly well in my attempt to stop buying books so I can catch up on my TBR list, which is why I haven't posted a weekly finds lately.  I broke down and got just a few this week, one for a group read and two that I've had my eye on for quite awhile.

The Lightning Thief - Book One in Percy Jackson & The Olympians by Rick Riordan.  I picked this up so that I could have a chance to read it before seeing the movie.

From the back of the book: Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again.  And that's the least of his troubles.  Lately, mythological monsters and the golds of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life.  And worse, he's angered a few of them.  Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Persy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to warring Mount Olympus.  But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with his father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.


The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.  I picked this book up for a group read on librarything.com.  My first (that I know of) in the SteamPunk genre.  It sounds interesting and I'd love to get into some new things.

From Barnes & Noble website: The Anibus Gate is the classic time travel novel that took the fantasy world by storm a decade ago. Only the dazzling imagination of Tim Powers could have created such as adventure.





The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  This is another one I picked up after hearing so many good things about the series.  The third has just been announced and I'd like to get started so I can read straight through.

From the inside cover: Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts.  The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games.  But katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature.  Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender.  But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

No comments: